715 L Ocean terrace
Staten Island, New York, 10301
Update on the new building: May 2022
Every aspect of the students, teachers, parents and staff’s needs were considered in the design of this school:
- Educational Needs: Classrooms are designed for small group instruction and to accommodate several different teaching styles, most fitted with their own bathrooms designed specifically for students with disabilities.
- Vocational Needs: The school has a large Adaptive Daily Living space to instruct students on independent living in an apartment setting. Also, a culinary arts classroom is provided, where students can show their talent by taking meal orders from staff, cooking, food preparation and the delivery of meals.
- Nutritional Needs: The school has a large Cafeteria with enhanced acoustic features to reduce noise levels and multiple serving stations to accommodate different type of dietary meals being served for each students’ individual needs.
- Physical Education Needs: The school will have a large Gym/Auditorium with a stage and multiple basketball courts with adjustable height backboards based on student’s physical ability. A large outdoor play area is provided with multiple sensory stations and specially designed playground equipment to accommodate wheelchairs. A dedicated basketball area for more able students is also provided.
- Medical Needs: The school includes Sensory Rooms, Save Rooms, Physical Therapy Rooms, Speech Therapy and a Nurse Station on each floor.
- Nurturing/Supportive Environment: The design of each space considered the comfort of disabled students, especially with severe medical conditions, from using indirect non-flicker LED lighting with adjustable color palate, to temperature-controlled rooms, to lowered windows in rooms to allow for full exterior views from a wheel chair and floor patterns that assist with wayfinding.
This school is a first of its kind, developed from the SCA’s vision to have a school purposely designed from the ground up to meet the unique needs and challenges required for students with special needs and disabilities in a nurturing, supportive environment.